Who says we can not do it? Just follow the proper routine and you can get the well defined curls. And please keep in mind that it applies for wavy hair as well.
Shampoo: As usual, use a sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair. Concentrate on your scalp with firm finger movement to loosen the dirt. You should cleanse your scalp properly while washing your hair otherwise your hair follicles can get clogged which might lead to hair-loss over time.
1. After shampooing, apply a good moisturizing conditioner (silicone free) and follow your usual bath routine and keep the conditioner on for at least 3-4 minutes.
2. After 3-4 mins, detangle your hair while your conditioner is still on your hair. Use fingers to gently detangle your hair from bottom to top. Follow the smoothen and detangle method shown in the video below.
3. After detangling, rinse hair with cold water. Massage your scalp while rinsing the conditioner off. You can use cold water to rinse it off. Once you rinse your conditioner off, DO NOT rub your hair with towel, DO NOT put your hair in a towel turban.
4. Styling – next step is styling hair. Make sure your hair is soaking wet when you style it. Water is necessary to create clumps. Water and products combo will help to create curls and will reduce frizz.
Style hair using a leave-in conditioner and gel as explained in the video below. You can also use a curl cream between both the products.
Check out the video below where I have explained how wet hair should be. This is the most common mistake beginners make to style hair with not so wet hair.
If you have curly hair and less volume or you have wavy hair then follow the video below.
A leave-in conditioner and a hold products are main things you should concentrate upon. Conditioner gives your hair the moisture that it always needs and gel helps to retain the curls longer . Buy good styling products, again silicone free (it can be a gel, mousse or in lotion form). You can use the homemade flax seed gel as your styling product as well.
Do note that when you apply conditioner, leave-in and styling product and scrunch your hair, it is better you keep your head upside down or apply products by lifting hair away from root to create volume.
Use a generous amount of the styling product. It helps the hair in keeping the frizz at bay while hair gets dry. Do not worry about the crunch once the hair gets dry. We will be taking out the crunch in the next step.
2. You can air-dry your hair (but it takes more time, 2 hours at least depending on the length and volume) or if you are in hurry, you can use a blow dryer with diffuser, do not use blow dryer without diffuser as it causes frizz. Dry your hair upside down if you are using diffuser. When you dry hair with diffuser then curls are formed tigther and it gives you more volume too. If you have wavy hair then drying with a diffuser will give you better curls.
While your hair is getting dry DO NOT touch them, it disturbs your curl pattern and causes more frizz. You will feel crunchiness in your hair once hair is completely dry.
Some people also plop their hair to enhance the curl pattern. You can find more information on plopping in best methods of drying curly hair.
SOTC: (scrunch out the crunch) Next step is scrunching out the crunch from hair. Flip your head down, hold your hair in both the palms and gently scrunch hair towards the top of your head to remove the crunchiness. Another way to SOTC is, squeeze hair along the length instead of scrunching to remove the cast. If your hair is dry, you can use small amount of some oil in your palms while doing SOTC. I sometimes use jojoba oil to do the final scrunching of my hair. Also it adds shine to your hair.
Now you are done! Just see the difference in your hair. Well defined curls! DO NOT touch your hair and DO NOT comb rest of the day.
Night routine:To get second day curls, tie your hair on the top of your head like a pineapple. It is called pineapple-ing. It is recommended to use satin/silk pillow cover or bonnets to sleep so that your hair does not get frizzy. You can also use a hair buff.
Weekly routine: Curly hair is naturally dry hair. It is not as if you can deep condition (DC) it once a month and you are good to go. If you want well moisturized hair then you should deep condition once a week especially if your hair is damaged. You can watch this video tutorial about how to deep condition hair using a store bought deep conditioner.
Non-wash day Routine: Hair starts to look dry and frizzy the next day. You can refresh hair on non-wash day as I have shown in the refresh video. Also, you can try refreshing it without water and use only styling products. Or mix water and conditioner and make a spray, or just run tap water over hair without wetting your root and restyle it again (the same process explained above). Just experiment with different things as it works differently for everyone. These days I refresh my hair by following the method as I have shown in the video. But I keep changing the products.
Clarifying: Use a clarifying shampoo (free of silicone) to detox hair once in a while. Being curly girls we use lots of products on hair and sometimes sulfate-free shampoo (depending on the its formulation) is not enough to clean hair of different conditioning agents. When your hair starts to form loose curls (than your usual days) that means it is time to clarify.