In my last post, I talked about how to define our natural curls. But sometimes, you want to have more control over your curls and might want to reshape them instead of letting them fall naturally. For such occasions, we have a technique called twirling.
1. Start with washed and detangled wet hair. Dab wet hair with an old t-shirt or microfiber towel to remove excess water. Microfiber towels are different from normal terry cloth towels, they are softer and provide less friction to hair than normal towels and hence less frizz. But they are difficult to find in India, so your old t-shirt should be more than sufficient to get the job done.
2. Take a section of hair, starting at the root, apply small amount of your styling product (gel/cream) and spread it root upwards till the end of the section.
3. Twist the section around your finger. If you want loose curls take more hair in a section, if you want tight curls take less.
4. While twisting the hair around your finger, keep sliding the finger outwards and take the finger out of the twirled section when you reach the end.
5. Repeat step 2-3 all over your hair. When you are through, just bend your head and scrunch your hair gently with both your hands.
6. Dry your hair naturally or with a diffuser. Remember DO NOT touch your hair until they are completely dry. Once hair is dry, then flip your head down and scrunch the crunch out.
7. If you want more volume, then slide your fingers in your hair at the top area and just shake your hand.
You might want to apply this technique on a few hair strands that want more definition and are prone to frizz instead of doing it all over your hair.
There are many videos on youtube on twirling. This technique is a bit time consuming and at start, you will not be able to do it properly. But keep practicing to get that more defined picturesque curls.
Check out my other post at Right Ringlets with my experiment on twirling.
Check out something similar called a skip curl method for twirling hair. It is different in that once you wrap a section of hair around a finger and then slide it down till the end. Then, hold the section from the end and swing it as if you were skipping a rope. It is much clearer in the video.