Henna has been popular in India to cover grey hair for ages. It is a natural and safe way to color hair. But many of us do not like the orangish tinge that it imparts to our hair. Let’s try our good old henna mixed with new ingredients to give you burgundy to dark brown color instead of orange. The final color might vary for everyone depending on their original hair color.
This recipe has been submitted by Smita Erady of our Indian Curl Pride group. Thanks Smita for the wonderful recipe 🙂
– Mehendi (Buy chemical free pure henna powder, I have used Nupur mixed herb Henna)
– Half beetroot
– Quarter Lemon Juice (or 2 tsp of tamarind water)
– 2 tsp Tea Powder (any brand tea)
- A night before grate beetroot and boil it with tea powder.
- Filter this mixture and let it come down to room temperature
- Mix the tea-beet juice and henna in a bowl and squeeze a quarter of a lemon. Keep the mixture overnight.
- Next day morning, shampoo hair and then when it’s 80% dry apply Henna mix all over ur hair. Tie your hair in a bun and don’t forget to apply oil on your face line to avoid any staining
- Cover ur head with a shower cap or polythene bag and keep it for 2 hrs.
- Wash it off with plain water and then again wash it with conditioner to moisturize your hair. You may also deep condition your hair if you feel henna is drying to your hair.
Effect on greys
Here are the before and after pictures shared by Kavita Rao from our curly group who tried this recipe to cover greys. Her hair is very resistant to dye but henna and beet worked perfectly for her to get this beautiful burgundy color which she loves. Isn’t it lovely? 🙂