Today’s thought is: Be realistic and remain happy!!!! Be realistic about your natural curly hair. Set your expectations and feel lucky and happy. Here are some real facts about curly hair that I want to share with you from my experience.
1. Frizz is part of curly hair. You cannot completely keep it at bay. On the first day, you can still manage to get almost perfect curls. But the non-wash days, your hair will definitely be frizzier. Frizzy hair does not look bad at all as long as it has some curly and wavy definition. Frizz just complements curls. There is no such thing called frizz-free hair.
2. Only you yourself see the frizz in your hair. To others, it just looks great. I am saying this from my experience. I met a lady with curly hair a few days back. To me, her hair was looking fantastic but she was still a bit concerned about her frizzy hair. And the same thing happens to me as well. Even I feel that I have frizzy hair on the top because of short new hair sticking out (which I am never concerned about 🙂 ) But when I meet other people they tell me it is just perfect. So, what I mean to say here is, it is just you who are more concerned about the frizz.
3. Never ever compare your curls with curly hair models. You can’t even tell what hair texture they have. Do not drool over their perfect looking waves which can only be achieved using dryer or curling rods or other methods that their stylist use on straight hair. They are just not natural hair styles. Luckily, now we still see some celebrities flaunting their natural textures.
4. Curly hair is naturally dry so it will always be dry. First day, you feel your hair is more moisturized than second day because you freshly conditioned and it is well moisturized. As the day passes or on non-wash days, if you have high porosity hair then it start to lose water and starts looking dry. So, you need to keep providing the moisture it needs. Keep it moisturized by regular oiling, conditioning, using deep conditioning treatment masks and by maintaining the protein and moisture balance. Only shampoo and conditioner are not enough for maintaining curly hair.
5. Do not compare your hair with fellow Curlies. Everyone’s hair is different. The environment (e.g humidity) you live in is different. The effort one person can put in their hair is different. The curl patterns are different. Hair texture is different. Your age factor, life style are different. How curls look in picture depends on many factor like picture lighting, hair is fine or coarse etc. Many times frizz is not very visible in pictures. Everyone has their share of frizz and bad hair days.
6. There is not one fit for all routine or products. Keep experimenting with routines and products. If one product is working for one person does not mean that it will definitely work for you. Try to figure out how many products you really need, don’t fall for things people try to sell you. Do your own research.
Most important thing is, don’t let the hair take over the part of who you really are. Just feel confident in your hair because you are just perfect!!!
Keep Curling and Keep experimenting!!!
curly n beautiful…xperince speaks
Hello Curly Beauty!
I’ve just started using flaxseed gel after washing my hair and honey mist for second day curls. I’m very new to styling my hair and I use rake and shake method for the same. I find my hair crunchy and hard to touch. Even though from far it looks frizz free and shiny but I just hate the crunch! SOTC does not seem to work for my hair. Any suggestion to avoid or handle crunch?
Honey could be the reason for the crunch. When we add extra honey then it gives crunchy result. Do you feel your hair crunchy even after using flax gel? If yes, the what all ingredients do you add in the gel?
Yes, flaxseed gel also makes my hair crunchy. I used the recipe you shared for flaxseed gel. Ditto!
Which hair mist do you recommend for second day curls?
Sorry for the late reply, some how I missed the comment. Do you scrunch your hair after it is completely dry? Hair feel crunchy after using styling gels but when we scrunch hair after hair dries completely then all the crunchiness goes away. Please let me know if it is working.
How to manage with curls on the next day of shower?!
At night you can tie your hair on top and use a stain pillow while sleeping. Next day use a spray/mist to refresh curls. Also, you can use a leave-in conditioner to re-hydrate the curls. You can refresh the curls with small amount of flax seed gel as well. Here are some recipes of mists that you can use. http://www.rightringlets.com/2015/06/homemade-hair-mist-for-daily-moisture/
Brilliant article n each n every word so true n encouraging thanku so much for motivating to accept curls as they are
Needed this. Lately, I have become so obsessive over a single strand out of place or over a little frizz at a site…. High time I learnt to embrace it.
I just wanted to know about cleansing the scalp properly because earlier I was facing the severe hair fall and i consulted many doctors but no results l did not have any medical issues or any deficiency then I started back combing 2 mints every day and to my surprise my hair fall problem stopped within 15 days because of this jo scalp me pores block the wo open ho gae aur dendruff problem bhi cure ho gai now my concern is that I want my curls lively for that if I follow this cg method I will have to stop combing completely that might lead the hair fall problem again plz reply
Shivi, I did not get the back combing part. Could you please explain more?